23 FEB 2023

We will contribute to energy savings of more than 29 TWh per year, equivalent to the consumption of three million households.

  • The company presents a plan with more than 40 actions to the Ministry for Ecological Transition and the Demographic Challenge. 

    New renewable power will save 20.3 TWh and customer and employee measures will save around 8.1 TWh.

    The electricity company will invest €6 billion in Spain by 2025 to boost new renewable energy capacity.

Iberdrola presents a plan to the Ministry for Ecological Transition and the Demographic Challenge (MITECO) with more than 40 measures that will save 29.3 TWh per year, equivalent to the consumption of around three million homes. Most of the savings will come from the commissioning of new renewable power driven by the investment of more than €6 billionEnlace externo, se abre en ventana nueva.  planned in Spain until 2025. 

New green energy parks account for most of Iberdrola's contribution, with 20.3 TWh, of which 20.5% are already in operation, while the remaining 79.5% will be ready between 2023 and 2025. Iberdrola includes around 8.1 TWh from savings solutions for customers and employees, such as home insulation, photovoltaic self-consumption, charging infrastructure of electric vehicles for transporting people and goods, and aerothermal energy, among other measures.

Iberdrola's plan also includes measures at its own facilities, such as air conditioning - 85% of which already operates without fossil fuels - and the implementation of charging infrastructures in corporate buildings, the electrification of public transport vehicles, the replacement of the entire fleet with electric vehicles and the implementation of solar installations in corporate buildings and generation plants. 

Mario Ruiz-Tagle, CEO of Iberdrola España, explains that "with this plan, the group becomes one of the Spanish companies that contributes most to energy savings and publicly certifies what it has been doing for more than two decades: its commitment to clean energy, energy independence and consumer protection. In addition, we will continue our decarbonisation efforts with the production of green hydrogen for processes where electrification is not possible".   
Enlace externo, se abre en ventana nueva.  impulsada por los más 6.000 millones de euros de inversión previstos en España hasta 2025.  

Leader In Renewables

The company will continue with its decarbonisation strategy in the future. It already has around 40,000 MW installed in renewables - and is the leader in Spain in onshore wind power, with more than 20,000 MW - and announced in the strategic presentation until 2025 investments of €17 billion in renewablesEnlace externo, se abre en ventana nueva. , to reach 52,000 MW at the end of the period. 80% of its current capacity is already free of polluting emissions.   

Thanks to these investments, the company will increase its installed renewable capacity by 12,100 MW: 3,100 MW onshore wind, 6,300 MW photovoltaic, 1,800 MW offshore, 700 MW of batteries and 200 MW of hydro. The group has already secured 50% of the new capacity and around 95% of production will be contracted by 2025.

The company will reconcile its growth in renewables with the goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2030 in its generation plants and own consumption and in all its activities by 2040. In addition, Iberdrola will have a net positive impact on biodiversity by 2030, promoting the planting of 20 million trees by 2030.